Deep TMS is an FDA approved, medical procedure that works by delivering magnetic pulses to stimulate the Left Prefrontal Cortex of the brain. The stimulation activates the nerve cells in this region of the brain and improves depressive symptoms.
How does it work?
Each session takes place with you sitting in a comfy chair with a cushioned helmet placed over your head.
The deep TMS treatment improves depressive symptoms by using magnetic fields, similar to ones used in MRI, to stimulate the targeted brain areas. The treatment usually requires daily sessions of 20 minutes for 4-6 weeks. Since there is no need for anesthesia or hospitalizations, and there are no side effects, you can go back to your normal routine after each session.
Benefits of Deep TMS
· Effective treatment
· Outpatient treatment
· No medication or surgery
· No anesthesia
· No undesirable effects on cognition
· Short Sessions of 20 minutes, no interruption to daily schedule
· Individualized treatments
· FDA cleared
· Few or no side effects (most common side effects are a mild headache and/or scalp discomfort)
Is TMS right for You?
· Current diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder without psychosis
· 4 or more trials of anti-depressant medications
· No history of seizure disorders, or recent episodes
· No implanted or foreign metal in head (most dental work is safe)
· Current or former trials of psychotherapy